Charting server load

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 2 19:12:43 UTC 2007

William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> Is there an easy, lightweight way to chart the loads on a server?  I am
> one of many on a shared host that is obviously overloaded, and I want to
> see if I can get the provider to acknowledge that the machine needs
> upgrading or dividing.

When I was monitoring a machine running a web server some time ago, I
used a cron job that ran every 5 minutes to grab and save information
about network on a given interface. The information was gathered by
doing SNMP queries. SNMP allows you to access all sorts of information
(if the server is running an snmp daemon). Alternatively, you could just
run a cron job to save the uptime information to the end of a file every
x minutes.

If the load average is getting over 20 at times, the machine is
definitely getting bogged with some (as in too many CPU intensive?)
processes.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.