Autoflush USB thumb drive after copy

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 2 17:26:53 UTC 2007

On 1/31/07, Byron Sonne <blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I've got a USB thumb drive that I rarely use. Just started to again, but
>> when I copy a file to it, unless I umount the node when I'm done, the
>> file doesn't get committed. IMO, this is stupid - anyone know the
>> reasoning behind this?
>>
>> If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
What is wrong with unmounting a drive before removing it? If you pull
out a USB thumb drive under Windows you will get a nasty message saying
that you should have told it you wanted to stop using the device before
you pulled it out. Its pretty much the same thing in Linux. It makes
sure any unwritten data is written to the device, and that no one else
is using the device.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.