Toshiba Satellite P100-MA1

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 1 18:29:27 UTC 2007

> SATA drive should work if the kernel is new enough, unless they somehow
> managed to find a totally amazingly recent chipset no one has seen yet.
> Dell seems to be experts at doing that, but hopefully all that is
> resolved as of 2.6.18 or something around that level.  The SATA dvd
> drive may not work yet, but I think it should (possible needing the
> libata.atapienabled=1 boot option until it becomes the kernel default,
> if it isn't already).
[snip]
> Audio is intel (It must be an intel chipset), so it should work, if not
> now, then pretty soon.

I have a Dell Precision M90.  It's got a SATA DVD drive and Intel's
"High Definition" audio.  The SATA DVD drive works like a dream--no
problems at all.  The HD Audio is strange.  It "works", but I
sometimes have to unload and reload the alsa modules if I want to
switch between headphones and no headphones or vice versa.  Makes me
look like an idiot if I forget because I'm wearing headphones but the
whole office can hear the music I'm listening to.

Of course, my problems with the audio could have something to do with
the motherboard, or something, and not be specific to Intel's audio
chips.  There are some other hardware weirdnesses on this machine,
too, so it might be the specific combination I have.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com