Autoflush USB thumb drive after copy

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 1 17:17:54 UTC 2007

>> For performance Linux does not immediately commit writes.  It is
>> recommended to umount, or else call sync several times to ensure full
>> flush.
> I would say umount is not recomended, it is mandetory.

Umm... totally defeats the purpose of being USB hotpluggable, doesn't it?

If it's gonna behave like that, then ls shouldn't show it as being
present until it's committed, like my other disks. Either it's on the
bloody stick or it's not.

My OS should not lie to me, and I shouldn't have to wonder where my
files are. Here's what should happen:

1. I copy the file.
2. The file is copied.
3. If I pull it out while it's copying, then the file gets corrupted.
4. Done.

And wearing out the memory? Dudes... at these costs, that's not an issue
:) It's cheap and plentiful.