running windows via kvm module -- any experiences?

Steve Harvey sgh-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 1 02:23:57 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 06:59:44PM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 January 2007 10:52, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> >
> > Make that Core 2 Duo.  The core Duo probably won't do it at all.
>
> Nope, core duo is fine as well.  I have a Dell inspiron 6400 with a T2400
> (IIRC) ... definitely a core duo and definitely has VT.  All core duos from
> T2200 and up (if not earlier) should have VT capability.  I've tried HP,
> Toshiba and Dell laptops and all had VT enabled and working fine for Xen.

  It's unsafe to rely solely on marketing-generated brands.  According
to my research, T2300 is fine, T2300E not.  Also not T2250.  *Some* HPs
have it disabled in the BIOS because they couldn't test the feature at the
time (may need to wait for the BIOS upgrade if you're stuck with one).

  Even some of the Core 2 Duo chips don't have it, such as the T5500.

  More info at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Virtualization_Technology

  Your positive experience with the laptops you tried is encouraging
to me as I'm tempted to just get an AMD-V machine.  A footnote in
www.intel.com/products/processor_number/proc_info_table.pdf  also hints
that just not any chipset will suffice.

  At this point in time, I'm not sure of the resolution status for
various OSs/VMMs/chipsets with regard to IO virtualization issues.
Assuming that certain Northbridge implementations have hardware
assists for functions that would otherwise have to be carried out
by a VMM (such as Xen 3.0+),  I have not ascertained the reliability,
security, and adequacy of performance of not using one of the sanctioned
chipsets.

  I have found some ThinkPad T60s with 945GM or 945PM chipsets in a
store where I've had to explain what virtualization is.  I'm wondering
if it is a safe assumption that they are safe to use given that 945G
is.