finding my own ip

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 27 20:29:38 UTC 2007

Peter Smerdon wrote:
> This seems to work, once an hour I get an email in my yahoo inbox
> containing my IP but I am wondering if there is a `proper' way to do
> this? It just seems like a bit of a kludge to rely on an outside website.

I would hope you mean that it checks for a changed IP address every hour but
only sends a message if the address has changed since the last check.
Otherwise, you risk filling up your yahoo mail with IP address messages and
your system won't be able to send messages after that when the IP does change.

A better idea is to look in to the sites on line which provide DNS services
for machines that have changeable IP addresses. If you do an internet search
on "Dynamic DNS" you will find several sites that offer this service. There
are several offering the service for free.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.