Short notes on "MP4" players...

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 26 03:05:24 UTC 2007

--- Meng Cheah <meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Colin McGregor wrote:
> > --- Meng Cheah <meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks, Colin. I intend to get one, mainly for
> audio
> >> books and music but
> >> video will be a bonus.
> >> Out of curiosity, what make were the ones you
> >> purchased? I understand
> >> that there are tons of "no name" ones out there.
> >>

> > It really is a no name player, with NOTHING to say
> who
> > the maker is. I suspect the reasoning being that
> it
> > looks so much like an Apple Nano that Apple could
> go
> > after these people on trade mark grounds if
> nothing
> > else (they don't use the Apple name anywhere on
> the
> > player, but the resemblance is very close :-) ).
> >
> I guess if you do have an issue, you have but one
> recourse.
> A truly disposable no name player; it should be
> priced accordingly :-)

Well, $20 (plus tax) will get you a 1 GB clone of the
current iPod Shuffle, $25 will get you a 1 GB clone of
the 2nd generation iPod Nano, and $30 will get you a 1
GB clone of the current generation iPod Nano.

Key differences:
- Shuffle clone - No screen, an MP3 only player.
- 2nd generation Nano clone - small 128 x 128 pixel
screen, can play video, show photos, etc.
- current generation Nano clone - somewhat larger 160
x 120 pixel screen, can play video, show photos, etc.

Also of note, the above are available in several
different colours (depending on the model I've seen
metalic, pink, blue and green). Me, I went with the
2nd generation Nano clone in metalic).

> Thanks, I'll go check what's out there.

Well, I am still working my way through issues of
converting the real MP4 files that my MythTV creates
and convert them into the format the 2nd generation
Nano clone can deal with.

Colin McGregor