Short notes on "MP4" players...

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 25 22:35:22 UTC 2007

--- Meng Cheah <meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Colin McGregor wrote:
> > Just a quick note, for Xmas I bought two (one for
> > myself and one as a gift) of those no name "MP4"
> > players (made up to look like an Apple iPod Nano)
> from
> > one of the shops near College & Spadina. In case
> > someone is going down that same road here is what
> > know...
> >
> > First off the players do NOT support MP4. They do
> play
> > .amv files, a format that I had not heard of
> before I
> > started looking into these players. There is a
> website
> > that has some notes about these players:
> >
> >   http://wiki.s1mp3.org/Video_encoding
> >
> > Bottom line, there is a alpha quality converter
> > program available for Linux that will create .amv
> > files... So far I have had success translating
> .avi
> > files to .amv. I have not yet been able to
> > successfully translate MP4 files from my MythTV
> box to
> > .amv (or MP4 to .avi then to .amv).
> >
> Thanks, Colin. I intend to get one, mainly for audio
> books and music but
> video will be a bonus.
> Out of curiosity, what make were the ones you
> purchased? I understand
> that there are tons of "no name" ones out there.

It really is a no name player, with NOTHING to say who
the maker is. I suspect the reasoning being that it
looks so much like an Apple Nano that Apple could go
after these people on trade mark grounds if nothing
else (they don't use the Apple name anywhere on the
player, but the resemblance is very close :-) ).

> Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas.

> Meng

Colin McGregor