Why Eee?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 22 20:10:03 UTC 2007

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| Wireless is apparently atheros AR5007EG, which is not currently
| supported by linux.  Apparently someone is working on adding support to
| the madwifi atheros HAL for it, but that could take a while, and my
| experience with the atheros HAL has not been anything I would want to do
| again, so I would consider it a laptop with no wifi at all if you are
| running linux.

HAL is not open source.  As far as I know, only Sam Leffler can fix
it.  He doesn't seem to do that very much.

OpenHAL is a replacement that is intended to be a an open source
replacement.  Perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

One alternative is ndiswrapper.  Not great, but it works in many
cases.  Warning: this approach probably will not work with Fedora
because the kernel stack size limitations.
http://lwn.net/Articles/160138/