Leaning web development (php, mySQL, AJAX...)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 20 16:18:42 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 10:13:13PM -0500, Andrew Malcolmson wrote:
> You may be beyond this now but is running PHP apps a reason to jump into
> developing in PHP?
>
> You really owe it to yourself to look at other languages.  You're going
> to be spending a lot of time reading code so you'd better be sure the
> language you choose 'fits your brain' and your longer term interests.
> It's nice to get instant results like you can with PHP, but what
> language will you keep going with?
>
> You should at least read a few tutorials on Java, Python, and Ruby.  All
> of these are well-designed general purpose languages.

Well PHP certainly is great for web pages, and certainly can be used for
other things too although I haven't done so myself.  python looks very
nice.  I have never looked at ruby since it has never had any features
that made me consider it worth looking at.  Java I know not to look at,
as I don't need to know another broken crappy language (just like c++,
only more so).

--
Len Sorensen