Emergency exit from X to tty1

Brandon Sandrowicz bsandrow-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 20 13:12:31 UTC 2007

On 12/20/07, Ivan Avery Frey <ivan.frey-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>        Let me rephrase my first sentence. Does holding the power button 4
> seconds shut the computer off?

Holding the power button for 4 seconds is a hardware thing not a
software thing as far as I know.  Pushing the powerbutton sends a
signal for the software  to interpret.  Holding the powerbutton for 4
seconds is a hardware failsafe.  In my experience that hold true on
lots of devices, even inventory scanners (though they were running
Windows CE or Windows Mobile or something).

Previous to the current 'soft buttons' the power switch was an actual
switch that cut the power and had an "on and off" position.  That's
why you had the "It Is Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer" in Windows
9x.

--
Brandon Sandrowicz