Leaning web development (php, mySQL, AJAX...)

Brandon Sandrowicz bsandrow-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 19 01:53:34 UTC 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 1:47 PM, Kareem Shehata <kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> [...]

True, but A LOT of stuff happens behind the scenes in some of these
'libraries.'  I delved into the sources for CakePHP, mainly to figure
out how a lot of the automatic stuff happened with respect to it
automagically recognizing a function's purpose by the semantics of the
name.  There were some really complex regex + verb/noun dictionaries
embedded deep in the system (one of them was a function to determine
if the function or object name was plural or singular).

Though that kind of stuff isn't too important, things like the SQL
interactions are.  If you are going to get into the guts of the MySQL
interaction, it's actually really really simple to call mysql
functions.  That's why so many people jumped onto the PHP bandwagon.
The problem is that it is simple on a basic level.  There are no
security checks, and you need to know how to do those types of things
yourself if you don't want to pass the buck to something that someone
else coded.

--
Brandon Sandrowicz