.ogg to .mp3 converter

Christopher Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 18 14:17:45 UTC 2007

Brandon Sandrowicz wrote:
> On 12/11/07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 06:32:35PM -0500, chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
>>
>>> What is an easy-to-install/operate .ogg to .mp3 converter. I got my wife an
>>> .mp3 thumb drive for Christmas. It's much easier than the iPod - just drag
>>> and drop .mp3's onto the drive.
>>>
>>> It's not one of (the very few?) .mp3 thumb drives that supports .ogg's. I'm
>>> using ubuntu 7.10 now - recent convert from rh 6.0 through fedora 7.
>>>
>> Well you could use:
>> ogg123 -d wav@ -f foo.wav foo.ogg
>>
>> Then you could ask lame to convert the wav file to an mp3.  I am sure
>> that could all be turned into a nice script.
>>
>> transcode might even do it all in one command.  I haven't checked.
>>
>> --
>> Len Sorensen
>>

> I'm thinking he's looking for a GUI front-end that his wife can easily
> operate on her own though.

After I did 'sudo apt-get install gstreamer*' all my gui sound apps were
able to save to .mp3 format. For example, audacity can now save to .mp3.
I also installed audio-convert and soundconvertor and both those apps
work but I guess I don't need them now because of gstreamer. I'm
sticking her Gospel CDs in the CD drive, Sound Juicer auto-opens (and
now has /mp3 save capability). I rip the songs to /home/chris/Music,
then I drag the .mp3's onto /media/PEARL (when the /mp3 thumb drive is
plugged into the USB port) in nautilus and it's working like a charm.
I'm keeping this email though for future reference.
 Thanks,

Chris

<snip>