Leaning web development (php, mySQL, AJAX...)

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 18 03:06:09 UTC 2007

Hey everyone,

It looks like I might actually have some time beyond family drama this
holiday season to actually catch up and read, with the possibility of some
free time in January.  So I thought, what better way to use the time than a
little learning?  I've been administering a few Debian boxen for a long
time, and worked with a bunch of different commercial databases
professionally, but never really figured out how to write a decent web page
or develop a real web app or web service.  Any suggestions for the best way
to learn how?  I'm open to suggestions, but I was thinking along the lines
of php and mySQL since I'm already running a bunch of apps on that platform.

Format is another interesting question.  I'd prefer an eBook, but those are
hard to find.  Dead-tree editions work well enough and don't run out of
batteries.  Online tutorials and HOWTOs are great, but I find most are
either a good primer or a detailed solution to one specific problem, neither
one is really good for learning a broad topic.

Thanks in advance!

-kms