D'oh!

Brandon Sandrowicz bsandrow-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 15 22:29:40 UTC 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 1:58 PM,  <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Interesting that on another machine (ubuntu as well) the entire contents of
> /etc/network/interfaces is,
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> It doesn't have an entry for an Internet connection at all - yet I have
> Internet connectivity. It makes you wonder if this file is being referred to
> at all (for Internet, anyway).

/etc/network/interfaces is not used at all so far as I know by default
in Ubuntu.  It will use it if you put some config in there, but
otherwise NetworkManager works through HAL and DBUS to configure the
network (at least on the newer releases of Ubuntu).

> > At the same time, I would have thought the dhcp interface would be the
> > one to provide the default gateway in general, in which case eth0 should
> > not have any gateway line at all.
>
> Well, my router documentation instructed that the gateway (router address)
> is 192.1.68.0.1

Yes, but the DHCP should provide that for the interface so that you
don't have to do so manually.  DHCP should provide the DNS server and
Gateway addresses.

> > broadcast and network lines are also completely redundant since the
> > netmask and address are enough to calculate the other two (and is in
> > fact what is being done).
>
> Okay, thanks. Now I have to configure a third computer with local address so
> it can print to the printer at another machine. Based on my understanding of
> your instructions, can I add these lines to it's /etc/network/interfaces
> file?:
>
> iface eth1 inet static
> address 192.168.0.4
> netmask 255.255.255.0

You could also manually set the IP on NetworkManager.... `gksudo network-admin`

`nm-tool` and `nm-applet` are also useful for working w/ NetworkManager.

--
Brandon Sandrowicz