Syncing Dev\Backup Web Site with Public Web\Site

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 15 19:25:55 UTC 2007

On Friday 14 December 2007 10:00:18 Stephen wrote:

> I have a LAMP environment both at home and on my web host.
>
> I use a lot of PHP and MySQL.
>
> I would like to able to an update on my home system, and then sync the
> files and database on my web host. In an automated process.
>
> Are there any tools that do this?
>
> Just looking for suggestions as to where to begin.

rsync over ssh is often a great option and can be set up very securely.
Depending on how much you care about the content (or how sensitive it is) you
might need additional wrappers around the file copy.

Cfengine comes to my mind since I use it extensively and couldn't live without
it.  Cfengine allows file copying and you can trigger lots of automated
actions around specific file changes, it's probably overkill though if all
you want is synchronization of a few directories.

Rails has capistrano which is designed for the purpose of publishing code,
updating databases, triggering actions, etc.  I've had it working in the past
with a rails site but I find it rather cantankerous to set up for non-default
things ... maybe I just haven't found the right howo yet.

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org>
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada