gtkpod on ubuntu

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 15 15:17:15 UTC 2007

Christopher Aitken wrote:

> > No, if you installed the gtkpod and libgpod from the ppa repo,
> Sorry to be so thick here. "installed from the ppa repo". Does that mean
> just do 'sudo apt-get gtkpod' and it will install "from the ppa repo"
> because it is listed in /etc/apt/sources.list?

Not quite. I tried it here on my Ubuntu box and it didn't work so Lennart set
me straight elsewhere in this thread.

If you have the ppa repo enabled in your sources.list, then you do:

apt-get install gtkpod=0.99.10-2~ppa1

That should also install the 'libgpod3' from the same repo.

There are a couple of things about libgpod and gtkpod on this repo. 1st, the
way they did the version number Ubuntu will keep trying to 'update' gtkpod from
the ppa version to the default version available in Ubuntu repos. I'm not sure
how to stop that in any automated way.

Also, as I mentioned above, the libgpod they have was not built with sgutils, so
you need to get the firewire ID of your iPod manually. From the instructions it
does not look too difficult, so that should not be a big deal.

--
JoeHill