Updating Ubuntu 6.04 to 7.10

Chris Gow sniffy-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 13 19:18:31 UTC 2007

On Thursday 13 December 2007 10:09:21 Alex Maynard wrote:
> I'm thinking of doing this upgrade (ubuntu dapper to Edgy) too.  I
> haven't tried to upgrade ubuntu before and wanted to ask what
> is the best way to do this? By modifying the source list and using the
> apt-get distribution upgrade or by using an upgrade manager or simply
> reinstalling from a CD?
As far as I am aware, *buntu does not support direct upgrades from LTS (6.06)
to non-LTS versions (every other version up till 8.04). So....if you want to
update, you'll either need to install edgy, then feisty and then finally
gutsy. Or you could just back up all your important stuff and reinstall
gutsy.

You could also attempt an upgrade, but from what I've seen on the
kubuntu-users and ubuntu-ca mailing lists, people haven't been very
successful with it.

-- chris