64-bit or 32-bit Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 12 20:17:57 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 02:29:50PM -0500, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> In addition to the possible issues mentioned by other there seem to be
> a bunch of little differences in terms of packages available. I
> noticed that some of the various theme, cursor, etc packages I like
> weren't in amd64.
>
> That being said, you can grab the ia32 version and install them anyways with
> dpkg --force-architecture somepackage.deb
>
> So it's something of a moot point in many cases unless the package has
> specific ia32 dependencies.

--force-* is generally a bad unless you know what you are doing.  If you
know what you are doing you will almost always know that you don't want
to use the --force option.

Anything like cursors and other data files SHOULD be architecture all
anyhow and hence be available for all acrhitectures already.  If they
are not then that would be a bug in the package.

--
Len Sorensen