64-bit or 32-bit Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 12 15:59:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 09:26:37AM -0500, lada-h8kxHjy+vg4AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I have been running 32-bit Kubuntu for a while and it has been working
> quite well. I am considering to switch to 64-bit Gutsy. Are there any
> caveats to be aware of, like limited package availability? Also, is there a
> significant speed improvement when running in 64-bit mode?

For many programs there is, although others have no change.  The
improvements for some programs can be 10 to 20%.

The only issues are for things like binary only browser plugins (like
adobe flash and the like), although there is actually a plugin wrapper
that lets 32bit plugins run on 64bit browsers.  For the most part
everything works fine on 64bit by now.  One of these days windows users
might be able to imagine that being the case for them too.

--
Len Sorensen