D'oh!

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 12 13:42:12 UTC 2007

Merv Curley wrote:

>On Tuesday 11 December 2007 18:06, Chris Aitken wrote:
>

>>I have four computers:
>>cpc (connected by usb to a printer which is shared) runs ubuntu 7.10,
>>ppc (fedora core 4),
>>dpc (ubuntu 7.10), and
>>bpc (fedora  7)
>>
>>All four computers are attached to a router. The router is attached to
>>the cable modem. The cable modem is attached to, well, the Internet.
>>That's it. ppc, ppc, and bpc all print (vian cups) to cpc's printer.
>>

>I am not a Network whiz but I wonder why you want to use dhcp?  Are you afraid
>of your hosts file getting too big?

I don't want to use dhcp - it's just that the cable modem gives me an
address to get on the Internet - that's the only dhcp I'm interested in.

>I have 6 computers in the house, all with static addresses,  attached to a
>router [192.168.0.1] which connects to the ADSL Modem.

Yeah, that's the part where you get an address assigned via dhcp.

> I have a printer on a
>print server with its own static address.  All computers know all the others,
>all connect via NFS.
>
>Usually there are never more than a couple on at a time since there are only 2
>users in the house. The mythtv backend is always on and us two.  But my old
>computers get dedicated to specific tasks in different places in the house
>for convenience.

Yeah, my scenario is similar minus the mythtv and NFS (unless I use NFS
without knowing it).

Chris