D'oh!

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 12 02:44:04 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 18:06, Chris Aitken wrote:

> I have four computers:
> cpc (connected by usb to a printer which is shared) runs ubuntu 7.10,
> ppc (fedora core 4),
> dpc (ubuntu 7.10), and
> bpc (fedora  7)
>
> All four computers are attached to a router. The router is attached to
> the cable modem. The cable modem is attached to, well, the Internet.
> That's it. ppc, ppc, and bpc all print (vian cups) to cpc's printer.

I am not a Network whiz but I wonder why you want to use dhcp?  Are you afraid
of your hosts file getting too big?

I have 6 computers in the house, all with static addresses,  attached to a
router [192.168.0.1] which connects to the ADSL Modem.  I have a printer on a
print server with its own static address.  All computers know all the others,
all connect via NFS.

Usually there are never more than a couple on at a time since there are only 2
users in the house. The mythtv backend is always on and us two.  But my old
computers get dedicated to specific tasks in different places in the house
for convenience.

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can