D'oh!

chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 11 18:58:48 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen writes:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 11:13:08AM -0500, chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
>> I'm okay now (Internet and pinging local addresses). I guess I figured it
>> out while you were sending this. Here is my /etc/network/interfaces file
>> now (same as yours only I had to add a connection for Internet):
>>
>> # The loopback network interface
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>>
>> # The primary network interface
>>
>> auto eth0 eth1
>>
>> iface eth0 inet static
>> address 192.168.0.2
>> netmask 255.255.255.0
>> network 192.168.0.0
>> broadcast 192.168.0.255
>> gateway 192.168.0.1
>>
>> #iface eth0 inet dhcp
>>
>> iface eth1 inet dhcp
>> address 192.168.0.225
>> netmask 255.255.255.0
>> gateway 192.168.0.1
>>
>> I'm assuming that the cable modem will reset the Internet interface IP info
>> (in /etc/network/interfaces) whenever I reboot the modem or PC or
>> whatever..
>
> That configuration makes no sense.  You can NOT have two interfaces on
> the same subnet (192.168.0.* in your case).  It simply doesn't know
> which one it should send data out of in that case.

Okay, I'll go back in and change it.

> Of course the dhcp line should simple be:
> iface eth1 inet dhcp

Interesting that on another machine (ubuntu as well) the entire contents of
/etc/network/interfaces is,

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

It doesn't have an entry for an Internet connection at all - yet I have
Internet connectivity. It makes you wonder if this file is being referred to
at all (for Internet, anyway).

> No more.

Or maybe not even that.

That's it.  Done.  Perhaps things are working because dhcp is
> in fact using some completely different address and ignores the rest.

It's starting to look that way.

> At the same time, I would have thought the dhcp interface would be the
> one to provide the default gateway in general, in which case eth0 should
> not have any gateway line at all.

Well, my router documentation instructed that the gateway (router address)
is 192.1.68.0.1

> broadcast and network lines are also completely redundant since the
> netmask and address are enough to calculate the other two (and is in
> fact what is being done).

Okay, thanks. Now I have to configure a third computer with local address so
it can print to the printer at another machine. Based on my understanding of
your instructions, can I add these lines to it's /etc/network/interfaces
file?:

iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.0.4
netmask 255.255.255.0