D'oh!

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 11 12:38:06 UTC 2007

I've pooched my network connection on my computer (I'm using another
computer to send this). I was trying to set up printing on ubuntu
(which, I am delighted to say, was done automatically and completely by
cups!). Now trying to set up to print to it's printer from another
machine I realized the printer-attached computer has no local IP address
(only the loopback, and the dynamically-assigned inet address). There is
no 'neat' (what I always used to add an ip address in fedora) in ubuntu.
So, I found a gui tool in the menu called gnome-nettool. There was no
'add' button so I chose to 'configure' the existing interface. I gave it
IP:192.168.0.2, mask:255.255.255.0 and gateway:192.168.0.1 (as per the
router instructions which worked fine on fedora 7). Now I can't even get
on the Internet AND the 'configure' button in nettool is  greyed out. D'oh!

Chris