Monitor suddenly dead

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 10 15:16:18 UTC 2007

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
> I have been using a Neovo F-419 for almost 2 year without any issue.
>
> This morning, without any warning, the monitor failed to wake up from
> sleep, is stayed dark. Actually, when I woke up my computer's monitors,
> I saw a flash of the correct display content, then the monitor went dark
> again. I tried several things and eventually trying it without connected
> to the computer at all (Neovo will display an error box in that case),
> but it it consistently flashing up for a moment then going dark. Seems
> like the backlight failed to start.
>
> So my question:
>
> 1. Is there anything can be done with this monitor? If it can be
> repaired, any suggestion where?
>
> 2. Any advice on what causing this? Any suggestion on what should I do
> to prevent this happening again in the future? The monitor do connect
> through a surge protector - albeit an old one. As far as I know there is
> no electric discontinuity last night: all electronic with clocks stays
> on, and the computer - which stays on overnight and connected to the
> same surge protector - still OK.
>
> Thanks!

CCFL's (the backlight) have a set life, like normal light bulbs. Better
quality monitors generally have longer life CCFLs. When looking to
replace this one, check the specs for whatever monitor you are thinking
of getting and see what the MTBF is on the bulb (in hours). Get one with
the longest life you can.

As for your current problem, it sounds more like the inverter is gone
(ramps up the voltage going to the CCFL). If you can find a replacement
inverter (ebay?) then you might be able to replace it, but I have a
feeling you'll find it's not worth it with prices of TFTs dropping so
much. Also, the inverter board drives fairly high voltage and can be
dangerous to play with.

Madi