Access VNC desktop of user A from user B

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 9 21:54:22 UTC 2007

I've got two VNC desktops running on my Ubuntu machine (waiting for Boxing Day
to get another display), under two different users. It is a simple matter to
access either one from a terminal, ie. I can su userb, then run vncviewer. What
I would like to do though is add a launcher or menu entry to do the same with
one click, and I'm not sure how to do it.

I use this to launch vncviewer:

vncviewer magda:2 -passwd /home/magda/.vnc/passwd

...but of course if I try this without first 'su magda' I get an error that the
passwd file cannot be read from my account.

Is there some way to specify in the command a user and pass? Or is there some
more efficient/elegant method than relying on VNC?

Thanks!

--
JoeHill