backup & low downtime for home network

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 7 17:49:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 09:24:38AM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> It looks like the ubuntu installation is going okay. I did the RAID
> stuff. Before that, I actually installed fedora 7 from the live cd as I
> was having trouble with the ubuntu installation. That way I could try
> out my new understanding of setting up software RAID. And it gave me an
> installation with which I could download/burn the .iso for ubuntu
> Alternate Install CD. That is the CD I am installing with now. The
> concepts as I understand them are: 1. Make two identical partition
> schemes on the two hard disks (with only two parameters: size and
> 'physical volume for RAID'), 2. 'Configure software RAID', 3. Make the
> MD devices (three in my case: /, <swap>, and /home), and, finally, 4.
> Choose filesystem and mount point for each "partition" (MD device).
>
> I shant get too cocky though - for the second attempt at installation I
> seem to be stuck at 'Select and Install Software...6%' just liek I was
> in the first attempt.
> The CD-ROM drive and hard drive are just thrashing about. Painful to
> watch. I guess I'll leave it alone for an hour and if it costs me a
> CD-ROM drive, so be it. I wonder if the burn speed (for the ubuntu
> Alternate Install CD) was too fast for the 48x CD-ROM drive to read it
> (if that makes any sense). I know the CD is fine because it passed the
> integrity check...

I wonder if you have a badly burned disk, or your cd driver is failing.

As for partitions i tend to do simply:
/dev/sda1 and sdb1 20GB (for /root raid)
/dev/sda2 and sdb2 the rest (for LVM's raid)

Then I assign the two raid1's and make then assign the large raid as
physical volume for LVM, then slice up the LVM stuff, and then assign
the first raid for root fs.  Ext3 everywhere of course.

If you want /usr seperate, then reduce the size of the root partition a
lot and make a /usr area in the LVM instead.  Similarly for /var.  The
root filesystem could probably be 1GB if you make /usr and /var use
seperate volumes instead of being part of /.

--
Len Sorensen