backup & low downtime for home network

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 7 02:12:00 UTC 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 01:57:20PM -0500, Robert Brockway wrote:
> 1.  It isn't as difficult as you probably think it is.  On Linux we have
> LTSP (http://www.ltsp.org). which greatly simplifies the process.  Most
> major distros already include LTSP.  There can be a few little "gotchas"
> just like any other reasonably complex application.  Fortunately there is
> great mailing list & irc help as always with open source apps.  Most
> problems seem to revolve around configuring TFTP ot DHCP (the underlying
> boot technologies).

For most people, this is how they see it...
    - When you boot from "live CD", then you're doing some sort of "thin
      client".  It is slow.
    - To do "thin client" properly, you have to do PXE network boot,
      NFS root mount, etc.  And, that's more hassle than average person
      can handle.
    - If you have only one computer (how most people start off), then
      you can't do "thin client".
    - Once you need more computers, commodity PC is all they know and
      are comfortable with.
    - Because you need server and client, whenever one changes, you have
      to corresponding changes to the other.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell