backup & low downtime for home network

Brandon Sandrowicz bsandrow-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 6 18:09:42 UTC 2007

On 12/6/07, Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Okay, I set Master and Slave on each IDE cable. I'm starting up the
> computer now (I'm installing ubuntu 7.10). The first thing I see is,
>
> The folowing configuration options were automatically updated:
>
> Disk: 137438MB   WDC WD1600AAJB-00PVA0
> CD-ROM: CDD-1480
>
> The problem is that the salesman told me these are 160 GB drives. I just
> spoke with a guy at the local Krazy Krazy - he says that the "DOS on the
> motherboard" uses the missing 22 GB. Is that true? I didn't know CMOS
> settings were DOS. And I'm surprised it needs 22 GB of hard disk space.
> That's bigger thatn the biggest hard drive I've ever owned (which was 20
> GB until now).
>
> Also, I'm surprised that the second hard drive (Master on the other IDE
> cable) wasn't detected - or maybe that is going to be on the next POST
> output message...
>
> Chris
>
> <snip>

137GB is a limit of some old motherboards.  The IDE controller can't
address more space than that.  If you get a PCI IDE controller, you
can have one with a newer IDE controller that can address all of that
space.

That sales person is talking through their ass.  BIOS != DOS, and
nothing is "using" that extra space.  What would a BIOS need 22GB for
anyways?  Just to put that in prespective, a DVDRip of tv series
season (~24 episodes) would be around 8GB....