backup & low downtime for home network

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 6 15:16:02 UTC 2007

Robert Brockway wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> cpc: 20 GB master hard drive (that just died) and 10 GB slave hard
>> drive (I keep .ogg's on it), 384 MB RAM, PIII 733 MHz
>>
>> ppc: 20 GB master hard drive and 6 GB slave hard drive (for backups),
>> 256 MB RAM, AMD Duron 800 MHz
>>
>> dpc: 13.5 GB hard drive, 256 MB RAM, PIII 733 MHz
>>
>> bpc: 13.5 GB hard drive, 256 MB RAM, PIII 733 MHz
>

> Hi Chris.  In an earlier email I mentioned how thin clients are a
> great way to go.  Linux and X lend themselves so well to thin client
> technologies and you often get better performance than using old
> machines as workstations.
>
> Despite the many many advantages (including simplified backups and
> reduced management time) alot of people don't seem to "get" thin
> clients.  For people used to the workstation paradigm it can seem a
> strange idea.

Well, yeah, rather than pretend I'm going to try this some day, I'll
tell you why I haven't and maybe if I tell you why I haven't you can
soothe my fear and then I'll actually try this. Here goes: "It sounds
difficult to set up".

> I've had a thin client (XTerminal) on my desk for about 12 years now
> and I get better performance because of it.

Maybe my son's computer (bpc) would be a good candidate.

> Perhaps I need to give a thin client talk to GTALUG.  I know you
> probably can't make it Chris :(

Well, if you can get past your Toronto-centric attitude you could ask
everyone to attend a meeting in Timmins. You can all stay at my house.

:)

Chris