backup & low downtime for home network

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 6 02:22:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Chris Aitken wrote:

> cpc: 20 GB master hard drive (that just died) and 10 GB slave hard drive (I
> keep .ogg's on it), 384 MB RAM, PIII 733 MHz
>
> ppc: 20 GB master hard drive and 6 GB slave hard drive (for backups), 256 MB
> RAM, AMD Duron 800 MHz
>
> dpc: 13.5 GB hard drive, 256 MB RAM, PIII 733 MHz
>
> bpc: 13.5 GB hard drive, 256 MB RAM, PIII 733 MHz

Hi Chris.  In an earlier email I mentioned how thin clients are a great
way to go.  Linux and X lend themselves so well to thin client
technologies and you often get better performance than using old machines
as workstations.

Despite the many many advantages (including simplified backups and reduced
management time) alot of people don't seem to "get" thin clients.  For
people used to the workstation paradigm it can seem a strange idea.

I've had a thin client (XTerminal) on my desk for about 12 years now and I
get better performance because of it.

Perhaps I need to give a thin client talk to GTALUG.  I know you probably
can't make it Chris :(

Since I'm no longer the talks coordinator I'll need to apply :)

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"