Apache::ASP - How is it?

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 4 04:45:32 UTC 2007

On December 3, 2007 09:26:02 am Kihara Muriithi wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have taken sometime googling on how best to run asp scripts on
> apache, and it seems there are two ways of doing it - apache::ASP or
> chillisoft. I am looking at a way where I can be able to migrate any
> existing Window based website to apache on Redhat 4.
>
> Does anyone here have experience on the subject and therefore in
> position to give an opinion on the best alternative to take? In
> another word, what differentiate the two alternatives above? Is there
> any other alternative I could have overlooked?

apache::ASP only works for ASP pages written in Perl that don't use any COM
components, a tiny minority. It works, conceptually, by providing an ASP/Perl
to Perl compiler and implementations for the built-in ASP objects (Request,
Response, etc.), which it runs on mod_perl IIRC. I don't remember if it also
fakes up ADO.

It won't work for the vast majority of ASP code written in vbscript (and to a
lesser extent, jscript) and which makes heavy use of COM components.

The Chilisoft feature list suggests that it would be sufficient for most ASP
code:

- support for vbscript and jscript
- common COM libraries like data access and (an old version of) XML)

If your apps use many third party COM libraries, though, you're probably stuck
with Windows without some substantial porting efforts (e.g. via chilisoft's
COM/Java bridge).