Backup Solutions

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 31 04:05:44 UTC 2007

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007, Alex Maynard wrote:

> I just rsync regularly between one home and one work computers and one or two
> old laptops? Now I am wondering if this is good enough or if I need
> to be doing something else on top of that? Though its only my own data,
> losing it would pose a big cost. Does this seem reasonably or do you think I
> should be adding some extra safe-gaurds?

Hi Alex.  Do you allow rsync to delete files?  If so then it is
conceivable that you could delete files from your primary box only to have
rsync helpfully carry this change to your backups.

Disks are cheap and as has been noted here many of us are using these for
personal and small business backups.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"