Video Editing

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 30 21:22:31 UTC 2007

Kevin Cozens left a post-it on the fridge:

> JoeHill wrote:
> > I use Tovid myself, very very big fan. It's not so much for video _editing_,
> > though; more focused on dvd authoring, and in fact does that very quickly
> > and easily, especially if you are comfortable on the command line.
>
> Tovid is only available as a command line package? How does Tovid compare to
> the dvdauthor/qdvdauthor packages?

Sorry, no I didn't phrase that properly... :-\

There is a Tovid GUI (in fact, you can even code your own custom GUI in
Python), and it is fairly simple to use, though even the developers say it
needs some work. However, like so many things, you can fire it off from the
command line in about a tenth of the time it would take with the GUI.

Tovid is like qdvdauthor in that is a front end for a whole series of apps, like
dvdauthor and the various encoding tools like ffmpeg. I only very briefly tried
qdvdauthor because a) it is QT/KDE, and I really hate that and b) it is way too
complicated as a GUI when I can run one simple command with Tovid to do the
encoding, and then use Todisc to create really nice menus for the DVD.
Qdvdauthor does have some nice features, but I found them to be implemented in
kind of a cumbersome and confusing way.

Basically, to make a DVD with a simple menu using Tovid, it would go something
like this:

tovid -in infile -out encodedfile

makemenu title -out dvdmenu

makexml -menu dvdmenu.mpg encodedfile.mpg -out dvd

makedvd -burn dvd.xml

Now, if you want you can make very fancy animated menu's using Todisc
instead of makemenu...again, there is a GUI, and a very nice one, but I'm still
partial to the command line.

This is an old one I used to create one of my Futurama DVD's:

todisc -menu-title "S  e  a  s  o  n    3" -menu-fontsize 32
-menu-font /home/joehill/.fonts/HANDGOTB.TTF -title-color DarkSlateGray
-stroke-color WhiteSmoke -text-mist -text-mist-color LightSteelBlue4
-text-mist-opacity 90 -files -titles "Bender Gets Made"  "Problem With
Popplers" "Mothers Day" "Anthology of Interest"
-thumb-font /home/joehill/.fonts/HANDGOTB.TTF -thumb-fontsize 10 -opacity 90
-thumb-text-color white -loop 4 -background
futurama-s01e09-hell_is_other_robots.avi -bgaudio
futurama-s01e09-hell_is_other_robots.avi -sameq -menu-length 23 -button-style
rect -menu-fade -align south -seek 360 -out rama

...and that's a SHORT one! :)

--
JoeHill