Using a handheld GPS for aviation

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 30 21:08:10 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I’ve managed to finally get all of the aviation waypoints onto my handheld
GPS so that I can use it as a reference while flying.  Thought this might
interest a few people here and elsewhere, so I wrote up how I did it at the
link below.  It’s my first attempt at HOWTO, as any criticism is appreciate
it.  It was written with the aviation audience in mind, so I kept it simple
and actually pointed out the Windows-oriented tools on purpose.  It’s likely
just as easy to do (if not easier) on Linux with GPSBabel, but I haven’t
looked up the commands to do it – I’ll add them to the doc if they’re
forwarded my way.

<http://kareem.shehata.ca/writing/garmin_waypoint_howto/>

Lastly, does anyone have experience with custom mapping?  It would be great
to have full aviation maps on a handheld garmin, but that’s getting a little
too advanced for me!

Cheers,

-kms

Checked by AVG Free Edition.