Installing Kubuntu on Dell Inspiron

Henry de Valence gravity.is.the.man-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 27 12:24:35 UTC 2007

I'm having some problems installing Kubuntu 7.04 on my new Dell Inspiron 1420.
When I first tried to boot from the live DVD, it kicked me out to a BusyBox
shell and told me "cannot access tty; job control turned off". After
following instructions here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=421588&page=2

I went through the steps, but I got stuck on "You will now boot into the
LiveCD normally." Instead, I got a splash screen which then disappeared into
a blinking cursor. If I do Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6], I can get a working command line,
but KDM is all screwed up. I tried to restart it using 'sudo /etc/init.d/kdm
restart', which informed me that kdm wasn't running. It then tried to start
it, which gave me a nice splash screen that quickly crashed back to the
cursor. When I did 'start' or 'reload', I get the same problem.

I also tried booting with 'irqpoll', as someone suggested, but that didn't
help.

FYI: I have no idea what the different boot options mean; I just followed
instructions.

It came with a bunch of weird partitions, including one for the DELL
MediaDirect (which seems really pointless to me anyways) and a backup
partition. I backed up the backup and then wiped & reinstalled Vista on a
single 40GB partition, just to see if that might help. It didn't (but I
didn't lose much/anything for trying, so whatever.)

If I can't get Kubuntu, I would like to install a distro that has KDE, but I'd
like to use Kubuntu just because it's what I'm used to, and I'm kinda new to
Linux anyways.

I also tried booting into a Kubuntu 7.10 Tribe 4 disc, which didn't work ( Not
that I thought it would, but it was lying around.)

Harry