lost the "crunch"

Allen Taylor tlug-G8usDCtqe957Ar2qsurDTA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 26 18:38:17 UTC 2007

Hi Chris,

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 01:30:55PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> It's been a long time since I've crimped an RJ-45 onto cat 5 cable. I'm
> not getting any data through the finished ethernet cable. I have the
> colours correct: w-gr, gr, w-or, bl, w-bl, or, w-br, br (left to right
> from pin 1 as you are looking at the side without the clip). I'm just
> not getting that "crunch" I used to get when crimping.
>
> Any ideas. I'll just keep trying to get that crunching feeling back
> while I await response...

One thing I learned the hard way was the importance of using a good
quality crimping tool. I originally bought one of the $29 "kits" that
included the crimping tool plus a two part cable tester. My failure rate
was around 30% (which I attributed to just being clumsy with tools). I
finally broke down and bought a half decent crimper for about $75 and
have not had one bad crimp since! (Note that you can go well into the
hundreds of dollars for professional level crimpers.)

The good thing that came out of the cheapie kit was the tester. I.ve
found it very useful for testing for bad connections/crimps and for
confirming straight vs cross-over cables.

Allen