restoring mail file in thunderbird

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 26 20:53:42 UTC 2007

Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Chris Aitken wrote:
>> I just did a clean install of fedora 7. I used scp to copy my mail
>> file from a backup computer. I changed the permissions. I created a
>> new account and pointed the server to that
>> (/home/chris/docs2bckup/mymail). I reload thunderbird but still no
>> mail. Interestingly one (and only one) folder shows up (a folder
>> named "holding" that I had set message filters to send junk mail to).
>> Why is this so difficult? I've done this from version to version
>> before...
>
> Thunderbird uses a ~/.thunderbird or ~/.mozilla-thunderbird directory
> for its settings, extensions, and most importantly, mbox (I think
> that's the format) files.
>
> You might want to wipe out the new .thunderbird or whatever it is and
> copy a copy of your backup into its place.
Okay - I was hoping to do it the way I have in the past. I had
everything I want to backup (including my mail file) in one directory -
so everything (not just mail) was really easy to backup with a single
scp command. i could change that but then backups will be tougher (not
just to do, but to think about). The way I had it was just by pointing
the new thunderbird account to the old file in this one tobebackedup
directory. It ain't working this time. The mail file was from an older
FC so I'm not sure if that's part of the problem.

Chris