vi vs Emacs debate live at GTALUG September 11 !!!

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 24 21:22:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 09:01:54PM +0000, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Interestingly, I often find that I'm more apt with my use of vi than a
> lot of people; they apparently got used to vim, and when put on a
> Solaris or AIX box which actually has "Real vi," I know what to do,
> but they don't...
>
> Actually, I'd like to suggest that it ought NOT be obvious that vim
> may be counted as an instance of vi...  If it is, then some arguments
> can be made (that don't favor vi) that cannot be made if it isn't.
>
> I don't find vi and vim to be anywhere near "the same," so it seems to
> me that it's a valid position to require that this debate either be
> "Emacs versus vi" or "Emacs versus vim," but not accept the ambiguity
> of "anything containing vi in its name"...

Sounds reasonable to me.  vim is certainly the most advanced of all the
vi style editors.  It is certainly the one I use, and I get annoyed
trying to deal with other vi clones due to missing things I am used to
using.  I can edit a file in plain vi but it isn't anywhere near as
efficient.

Do the different emacsen have similar issues between each other in terms
of features you get used to using?

--
Len Sorensen