E-MU 1212 M PCI card

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 24 18:41:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 01:14:00PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> I ended up buying this card (E-MU 1212 M PCI). It was a hundred bucks,
> used, from L&McQ. So, it does not come with a manual. I have three
> things (at least) to work through:
>
> 1. No sound. I'm getting no sound out of it at all. gnome-volume-control
> detected the card as EMU APS [Audio Mixer (OSS)]. I guess semi-pro cards
> do not have a port called "speakers". The card is in two parts - the
> part with the PCI teeth has "EXTERNAL" (looks like ethernet), co-ax
> (RCA) S/DIF IN and OUT, ADAT and a six-sided port with some kind of
> nuclear power symbol beside it. The slave card (if I can call it that -
> no PCI teeth, just a ribbon cable to it) has 1/4" INs and OUTs and MIDI
> IN and OUT. So, the only thing that seems likely to take sound to
> speakers are the 1/4" OUTs. So, I hooked up a pair of cheap PC speakers
> but no sound is coming out. The speakers are fine, because I was using
> them last night with the old soundcard (SBL! 5.1).

The 1/4" outs are balanced and can not be trivially connected to PC
speakers.  Balanced connectors use a ground reference and a pair of
differential signal lines.

To connect you need the right cables such as this one:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/CPR202--Main

That is a stereo RCA to unbalanced TS cable.

The manual from emu even mentions it.  You can get the PDF at the emu website here:
http://www.emu.com/support/files/storage/1820_1.81_(EN).pdf

The 1820 and 1212 are related.

Or you could use something like this:
http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=142&subcategory=191&product=13342

That one is easier to use for pc speakers since it has a 1/8" stereo
jack rather than RCA jacks.

> 2. Mystery driver. Another interesting thing is that
> gnome-volume-control reports a second card (or driver?): Soiund Blaster
> Audigy [Alsa Mixer]. Why would that be? I never had that card. There is
> an onboard card that I disabled in the BIOS a long time ago, and I took
> my SBL! 5.1 out this morning.

Did you remove any saved settings for alsa that were left over from the
sb live?  Maybe that is confusing it.

> 3. System Adequate? I ran commands to find kernel and alsa version.
>
> [chris at p733 chris]$ uname -r
> 2.6.5-1.358

Maybe you should get something more current.  2.6.22 has full alsa
1.0.14 for example.

What do you see in /proc/asound/cards ?

> [chris at p733 chris]$ cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.4rc2 (Tue Mar 30
> 08:19:30 2004 UTC).
> Compiled on May  8 2004 for kernel 2.6.5-1.358.
>
> Like I posted at the top of this email, alsa-project bugtracker advises
> kernel 2.6.19 (I have 2.6.5-1.358, which I guess is an older version)
> and alsa-driver 1.0.14 (I have 1.0.4rc2, which I guess /is/ okay).

It may or may not be good enough.  The support was supposed to be in
2.6.14 but rc2 may not have had it yet.

--
Len Sorensen