Can't install Gentoo linux on Dell Inspiron 530

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 24 03:11:09 UTC 2007

  I got a shiny new Dell Inspiron from the "PC fairy".  Windows Vista
works OK (at least good enough for Windows).  It does not want to be
formatted<g>.  I insert the latest minimal install CD, and things start
off OK at the beginning of the boot process.  *THE USB KEYBOARD WORKS OK
AT THE BEGINNING*  I can type in "gentoo" or "gentoo-nofb".  A bunch of
modules load, and eventually we get to the "default keymap" stage, at
which point, things fall apart.

  1) The keyboard (USB) now types each character twice.  If I attempt to
type "41", it comes out as "4411", and the install program complains
about an invalid keymap number.

  2) Even though the CD managed to boot initially, it now complains
about not being able to find any bootable medium.  The CMOS setup shows...

SATA-0   SAMSUNG HD501LJ
SATA-1   HL-DT-ST CD-RW/DVD-R
SATA-2   port not present
SATA-3   port not present
SATA-4   HL-DT-STDVD+-RW GSA-
SATA-5   None

Drive A  1.44M, 3.5 in

  The install asks me to type in either the boot device or "shell" for a
shell.  Of course, with a b0rk3n keyboard, I can't do either.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?