Mutt and Maildir oddness

Thu Aug 23 15:30:16 UTC 2007

I am using mutt for mail reading, and I recently switched to using
maildirs, rather than mbox files.  I have been happy with the switch,
but I have found one thing that is odd.  When I get new mail, procmail
puts it into folders based on several criteria.  That works just fine.

The oddness comes when I look at the folder view in mutt.  For some
folders, when new mail arrives it "touch"es the directory, and so those
directories get bumped to the top of my list.  However, other
directories don't get moved to the top of the list when mail is added.

For instance, when I am in mutt and I wish to change mail folders, I
press "c?", which shows a directory listing of my mailboxes.  It is
sorted by modified date, with the most recent changes at the top.  Right
now it shows, tlug, inbox, mom, etc...  If I get a new message in my
inbox, the order changes - inbox, tlug, mom, etc...  If I get a new
message from my mom, the order doesn't change - but there is no
appreciable difference in permissions or behaviour - the directory just
isn't "touch"ed.  The procmail rules are practically identical, and I
can so no reason why some mail folders register new mail while others
don't.  Does anyone know what's going on?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William