apt sources.list syntax

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 22 15:30:02 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 21:57, KEITH MASTIN wrote:
> I found the answer in apt Pinning. Swapped the last line for this:
>
> #Debian Unstable
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
>
> This works now.
>
> 10X
>
> KEITH MASTIN <kmastin-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote: Hey all;
> If someone could shed some light on this or lead me in the right direction,
> I would be eternally grateful. TIA

There are other useful repositories, maybe the most useful is

debian-mutlimedia.org   but a mirror that is ok is [sources.list]

deb http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/debian/debian-multimedia etch main

You will see error messages until you

apt-get install debian-multimedia-keyring

In a few months if your system is still stable you could change to the testing
repository which will upgrade many programs to newer versions. All this
involves is changing the word 'etch' to 'testing' in each line of
sources.list. I would stay away from 'unstable' for awhile.

You really only need 3 active lines in sources.list, all packages in etch,
security updates from etch and the debian-multimedia site. You will come
across more, if you want google-earth, they have a debian repository and so
on.

It is highly unlikely that you will need any source code debs so put a # at
the head of the deb-src lines. You are finished with the CDRom so that could
also have a # at the beginning of the line.

These will all speedup the 'apt-get update' that you should do weekly or more
often.

Hopefully you understood Lennart's message, but I wouldn't be surprised to
hear otherwise, :-)

Enjoy  apt-getting

--
Merv Curley