Anyone used the Canon iP3300 or the Canon iP1800 printers?

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 17 16:36:17 UTC 2007

Greetings, all.

I'm currently looking at which printers I can use as part of a project for a
client. I'm looking mainly at ink jet printers. The catch is that I'm using an
ARM based board running Linux and have very little free flash memory (< 12M)
after installing the application, the Ghostscript 8.60 executable, and one
font file.

Based on information from the Linux Printing Database the Canon PIXMA iP3300
should work using the bjc800 driver. The Canon PIXMA iP1800 should also work
under Linux but the Linux drivers from Canon are mainly for use with a CUPS
based printing system.

The application generates a Postscript file which is fed to Ghostscript which
then talks to the printer over a USB port. Has anyone used either of these two
printers? Is the iP1800 another printer that can be made to (partially?) work
with the bjc800 driver?

Only a single page will be output in black and white three to four times a
day. It won't matter if the full features of the printer are not supported by
an older, but compatible, driver.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.