virtual machines

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 16 17:06:26 UTC 2007

I've got a copy of VMWare server that was gratis. All I needed to do
was supply my email (another alias, yay) to create a login and then
get a valid serial key.

The workstation download is still listed as "evaluation version" so
that one is likely still not quite as free.

I like John's suggestion of a chroot. As far as CPU power it's
probably the most efficient, as you are not running a VM over top of
your regular OS. The files would be happily segregated from your
normal OS files as well, although the processes would still run in the
same memory space.

If you wanted to step a bit further than the chroot, but not quite as
far as the VM, another option would be to use something like
util-vserver. You need to make some patches to the kernel for this,
and then create what's basically a changeroot, but the vserver would
then be unware of anything happening in your base OS. I've had good
luck with this. Last kernel I tried the patches with was a 2.6.21
series.

Regards,

Tyler Aviss