Power Spike question

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 15 18:55:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 12:43:40PM -0400, Alex Maynard wrote:
>  If I remember correctly, my UPS had explicit warnings not to plug the
>  printer
>  into it.

No, the warning is to not plug any _laser_ printer into it.  So the same
goes for any laser based fax or photocopier, or anything else that
contains a fuser.  The fuser causes a nasty power surge when it fires
up, which UPS's and even surge protectors don't like.  In fact you
really want a surge protector between your computer and the nasty device
with the fuser in it to protect against the surges it creates.

--
Len Sorensen