LCD monitors

Tue Aug 14 14:28:49 UTC 2007

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 09:06:40AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 10:20:12AM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>> I am finally getting an LCD monitor, and I'm wondering if I have to do
>> anything over than 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'?  I've had the same
>> 17" CRT since I started using Linux in 2000, so I'm unsure if I need to
>> do anything special.

The monitor finally arrived, and it has a VGA input, so my video card
just plugged right in with no need for an adapter, which is nice.  My
dpkg-reconfigure command worked fine, but now I have a couple of
questions.

Is there an advantage to the digital input (should I get a DVI video
card)?

It is set at its native resolution right now - do I need to do anything
else - is sub-pixel hinting a good thing?

For reference, the monitor I got is this one:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-5205

It's a bit huge, and almost too bright to look at, but it's seems very
nice :-)
--

yours,

William