USB portable drive weirdness

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 12 19:02:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:11:10 -0400
Peter King <peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 12:39:28PM -0400, Duncan MacGregor wrote:
>
> > I found that the answer was to buy a powered USB hub with a good power supply.
> > After buying two cheap hubs with small power supplies (one unmarked, and one
> > rated at 1 amp), I went to Sourcecc (useta be Radio Shack) and got a 4-port
> > hub with a 2.5amp power supply. Now everything works fine.
>
> That's it, exactly. I bought an independently-powered USB hub (2.4amps) and
> plugged it in. Now everything Just Works. Thanks to one and all for the
> advice.

Paul,

   I am too late to be helpful, but this may help somebody else.

   I bought a USB hub for my desktop and it behaved erratically.  I checked either /etc/messages or dmesg, and I saw a message that the USB hub was not receiving enough power.  I bought a power supply, and everything worked.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org