OT: Next Time you sing happy birthday

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 12 05:35:09 UTC 2007

| From: James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| FWIW, I saw that the music was from the 19th century and the words were
| copyright in 1935.  I would assume they were copyright only in English,
| so I suppose the French version could be performed legally.

I don't think so.  They would have been created more recently and
perhaps the author lived later.

In the US, without registration, before they signed onto the Berne
Convention (late 1970's I think), there would be no copyright.  Here,
things are born copyrighted without registration (Berne, again).

This is complicated stuff.  Just the kind of stuff we need consumers
to understand!