Dell Inspiron 530 compatability questions before buying

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 12 04:53:41 UTC 2007

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 03:42:22PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
| >   I'm not
| > looking at the low-end Celeron version, but the Pentium dual core
| > processor version.

| And you really don't want a Pentium anything.  You want a Core based
| system instead.

You've been fooled.  "Pentium Dual Core" is what Intel is calling
cost-reduced processors based on the same technology as Core Duo or
Core 2 Duo processors.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_Dual-Core

And they've also got Celeron branded
processors based on the Core technology.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeron#Conroe-L

Talk about confusing.  Of course the name "Core" is rather convusing,
Then Core Duo and Core 2 Duo.  Sheeesh.

Pentium is really a brand, not a technology.  That's why I started
  http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Pentium_brand&action=history
last year.  Unfortunately most wikipedia pages confuse branding with
technology families.  See, for example
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium

Bottom line: I would guess that the Pentium Dual Core is a very
cost-effective choice.  I'd prefer the ones based on Core 2 Duo
(Allendale) design: 64-bit instruction set perhaps VT, I don't know.
Neither is very important for most lap-top uses.